There may be instances where you want to broadcast your video at a higher or lower resolution than what you initially intended (e.g. if you upgrade your equipment or notice that your remaining bandwidth usage is low). If you want to change the resolution and framerate of your broadcast, you can do so by following these steps at each point in your signal path.
1. Check Your Video Feed Resolution
Make sure you know what resolution and framerate you are recording with so you can match it to your encoder preset. Check the documentation for your recording equipment in order to find out how to do this with your camera, capture card, scaler, etc.
If you manually start, then stop, your encoder (Learn more), Studio will also give you the last detected input signal. The signal will appear next to your encoder in the Dashboard or its Encoder Details page.
2. Change Your Encoder Preset
The resolution of the input format settings on your encoder preset must match that of your input device before you can start a broadcast.
- Navigate to Settings > Encoder Presets.
- Click + Add Preset in the upper right corner.
- Enter your encoder preset details as needed.
- Make sure the resolution on your input format matches your video signal.
- Make sure that your output format matches your display.
3. Implement Your New Preset
Once your input device and encoder presets have been adjusted so that they match, you will need to make sure that it is being used in your next scheduled event. Remember that you will need to go through this procedure any time you create a new event.
- Navigate to the Schedule.
- Click the event you want to adjust.
- Click the edit icon in the upper right corner.
- Click the Content Source tab.
- Select the new preset from the Encoder Preset dropdown.
- Click Save.
4. Match Output Resolution in Your Decoder (Multisite)
If you are streaming to a multisite destination, make sure that the decoder at your remote destination has been adjusted to transmit at the correct resolution. In order to do this:
- Log into your decoder.
- Navigate to Settings > Audio & Video.
- Under the Output Format options, select the resolution that matches your output display.
- Click Apply.