If you have Gmail or Microsoft Outlook, you can automatically forward Resi’s email alerts to your mobile device via text message. For example, if your encoder detects a drop in bandwidth, you’ll receive an alert on your phone. To do so, you need to set up automatic forwarding through your email provider.
Currently, there’s no way for Resi to directly send an encoder alert to your phone.
Find Your Device’s Email Address
First, you need the email address associated with your mobile device. Typically, it’s your ten-digit mobile number followed by the carrier’s name. For example, email@example.com for Verizon. To find yours:
- Begin composing a text message on your mobile device.
- In the To: or Recipient: section, type your email address.
- Compose the text as normal.
- Send the text. You should receive an email with the text message.
- Check the email address that sent the message. That’s your device’s email address.
How Do I Set Up Email Forwarding as a Text Message?
Gmail and Outlook have a feature that allows you to send text alerts to your phone or forward emails to another address. In this guide, Resi provides common email forwarding procedures for both.
In Gmail, you will need to first set up a forwarding address using your mobile device’s email address. Then, create a filter that sends certain emails to that address. To do so:
- Navigate to Gmail’s Settings > See all settings.
- Click the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- Select Add a forwarding address. Enter your mobile device’s email address and click Next.
- You’ll receive a text with a confirmation code. Enter it in the confirmation code box, then click Verify.
- Navigate to the Filters and Blocked Addresses tab.
- Click Create a new filter.
- Enter the email address Resi uses to send you encoder alerts (firstname.lastname@example.org), then click Create filter.
- Check the Forward it to: box and select your mobile device’s email address. Then click Create filter.
Your Resi encoder alerts will now be forwarded to your cell phone from Gmail. For more assistance with forwarding emails, see Google’s documentation.
In Outlook, you will need to create a rule for automatically forwarding your encoder alert emails as text messages using your mobile device email address. To do so,
- Navigate to Settings > View all Outlook Settings > Mail > Rules.
- Give your rule a name.
- Under Add a condition, select From and enter the email address Resi sends encoder alerts from (email@example.com).
- Under Add an action, select Forward to and enter your mobile device email address.
- Click Save.
The “Stop processing more rules” checkbox tells Outlook to do nothing more with the message once it’s forwarded. Keep this checked if this is the only action you Outlook to take with this message.